January 6, 2020
If you’re a vehicle owner, you’ve probably heard the age-old debate of whether used auto parts are as good as new ones. Many people have the notion that used car parts are a bad idea and are typically unusable. Both options have their pros and cons, and it helps to be aware of them when you’re faced with the tough decision of repairing your car. Let’s consider the merits and demerits of each:
A. Used auto parts
- Cheaper: A simple comparison of the price of used car parts and that of brand new auto parts will show a huge difference in cost. Sometimes, the difference can be over 50 percent. By opting for used car parts, you will be saving a significant sum of money that you can use to meet other pressing needs.
- Warranties available: Some used auto parts come with a warranty that offers you peace of mind against unexpected performance failures
- May require installation fee: Even with the a warranty, if the part fails, you will need to pay to install a new part (unless you’re the DYI expert or a YouTube certified mechanic).
- May not last as long as new parts: Generally, used car parts offer a decent service life, but they may not last long as new parts.
B. New auto parts
- Have warranties: New car parts typically come with a warranty that kicks in after the typical manufacturer’s auto warranty has expired. In other words, you get protection against having to pay for maintenance and repair costs.
- Have a longer lifespan: New car parts last longer than used auto parts due to the normal wear and tear that comes with use.
- Pricey: New car parts can be quite expensive, with some costing almost as much as the car did. You might need to part with a fortune to purchase brand new tires.
- Harder to the source: Another drawback to new car parts is that it can be harder to source for them, especially if they’re for an older car.
So which is better, a new or used part to repair your vehicle?
When it comes to deciding whether you should purchase a new or used car part, keep in mind new parts are generally recommended for components like brake pads and shoes, rotors, suspension components, windshield wipers, and airbags to be on the safe side. In fact, any rubber-based part should be purchased new because they wear out more quickly. Other parts like alternators, transmissions, carburetors, motors, and body parts like doors, fenders and hoods can be quite expensive because they are new and still have to be painted and installed, and you might want to buy used car parts especially if you are looking for body panels. You might get lucky and even find the same colour, saving you hundreds.
Just because an auto part is from the junkyard doesn’t make it junk. Most of these parts are usable, and you can get plenty of mileage from them without spending too much money on new parts. However, if you’re looking for replacements for your car, make sure you buy your used parts from a reputable supplier like Auto Heaven.
Auto Heaven provides quality used parts for a fraction of the cost of new original parts. You may also purchase brand new aftermarket parts from Auto Heaven cheaper than you would from a dealership.